Tuesday, June 24, 2008

At Least We Know All the Airbags Work!




Tonight was quite an eventful night for us. Dave left the house a little after 5 to go to work, which is less than a mile away. I babysit for a little girl in our ward until about 5:15, which is when Dave called me to let me know that he had just been in an accident. This is how the brief conversation went: Dave: "I just got in an accident."Kate: "Are you alright? Was it bad?"Dave: "Umm, yeah, it was bad. The paramedics want to take me to the hospital in the ambulance."Kate: "No, don't go with them, that will cost like thousands of dollars. (Definately not what my first thought should have been) Where are you?"Dave: "200 North."So, Dave was 3 blocks from the house, and I had no way to get to him since he had just been in a bad accident with our only car. Not 2 minutes later, the dad of the girl I watch (coincidentally, also our Elders' Quorum President) pulled up to pick up his daughter. I threw the front door open and asked him if he could drive us down the street because Dave had been in an accident. He had driven right by it to get to our house, so he just handed me his keys, told me he would watch Emily, and to just go. What a lifesaver! So I go to pick up Dave and take him to the hospital, and (crazy guy) when I pull up, he is holding a paper towel to his bleeding head and walking around talking to witnesses. I take him to the ER, rush back home to get Emily and to return the car. By that time, I had arranged to borrow the car of another member of our ward for the night. I pick up the other car, get us to the ER to wait with Dave, and then our Relief Socity President showed up (she heard from the YW pres since I called her to let her know I wouldn't be at YW tonight) and said she was there to take Emily and to call her when we were done at the hospital. She is such a wonderful woman, and she was so matter of fact that I didn't really have a choice: Emily was going with her. Our nephew and his wife brought us something to eat and conveniently enough, the mom of the girl I babysit is doing an internship at the hospital, so she came down to see us too. So, we waited and waited, and finally we got back so Dave could be treated. Long story short, he now has 9 stitches in his right eyebrow, and a severely sprained left wrist. We had a stressful and long hospital visit and Emily had a great time at the Bay's house. I have never felt more loved in a ward than I did tonight. When we were truly in a time of need, they were all there within minutes. Thank you to everyone who helped and was concerned- you are greatly appreciated!

6 comments:

Macon Family said...

Yikes, that's scary, but glad everything is okay! Sounds like you have a really awesome and helpful ward.
P.S. I would have said the same thing about not going in the ambulance!!!!

The Larsen's said...

OH MY GOODNESS...I'm so sorry about your accident...is there anything we can do for you? do you need rides or anything until you get your car fixed?

Jennifer Rose said...

I'm so glad things turned out the way that they did and Dave was okay! Next time I should keep my phone with me! We appreciate you guys and all that you do for us!

The Liddells said...

i'm glad everyone is okay! Sounds scary!

Frye Kids said...

hey i am still your Visiting teacher right? what can i do? dont you just love that ward? we miss it so much, it is just not the same out here. glad everything is ok, it is so scary when that happens, it makes you appreciate each other a little more. keep us updated, love ya!

The Gardners said...

bad wreck, nice wedgie guy in the yellow shorts